Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Mexican Street Taco - Pure Heaven

Saturday night, I was craving Tacos from the street vendors in Monterrey, Mexico.  I lived in Monterrey for 6 years and I would probably eat tacos at least several times a week.  Tacos are probably Mexico's most commonly consumed food. They are found everywhere in Mexico, with some regional variations.

Now when I talk about Tacos, I don't mean your "Taco Bell" type of taco. That is pure Tex-Mex.  I am talking about the real-deal!  What tacos are:
> A taco is a sort of sandwich made from soft corn tortillas (in Mexico they are always soft & earthy...usually handmade from whole grain corn.)
> The taco is stuffed by grilled, seared, broiled, roasted or baked meats in a variety of cuts....or by a variety of sauteed, roasted or poached vegetables.
> The taco is typically topped with diced raw onions, & fresh herbs (typically Cilantro) and a freshly roasted salsa made of fresh produce. Sometimes they are topped with smooth guacamole or pickled onions, cabbage or chiles.
> Tacos are almost always purchased from mobile street vendors (that only specialize in Tacos...usually just on specific cuts of meat or types of vegetabls)...who assemble them straight from the griddle, grill, roaster etc., They are always piping hot...and need to be eaten immediately.

What tacos are NOT:
> Tacos are not made with soft flour tortillas or corn taco shells.
> Tacos are not stuffed with Simmered Ground Meat, Rice, or Beans (except when you make casual bean tacos at home)
> Tacos are not topped with lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese, sour cream
> Tacos are not eaten in Restuarants...nice or humble. They are NOT served with sides of rice & beans.
And now the wonderful Taco:

6 comments:

  1. I love tacos, they are to die for. The tacos in the Philippines are not so much the same in Mexico. I am pretty sure that is the best taco ever... Looks very nice...VICMADZ is now hungry. :)
    Taco's in the Philippines cost around Php 35-50 which is around $1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful. Don't suppose you know where I can get an authentic recipe for these? I'd like to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s glad to see good information being convey. Its a very nice written, and i really like these blog. Thanks for the info.


    Education Consultants Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Think You Know MeApril 30, 2011 at 3:05 PM

    @Vic - I could go for some Filipino Tacos. I hear that they are very good. And only a $1. What a bargain!
    @Zulma - I will talk to my wife. Maybe she can write it up. The trick is in the meat. Marinating it, etc.
    @Liz - I can't wait
    @HS Consultants - Thank you. I am glad you like it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. They are. Ever had them?
      Love your blog. Wish I knew more German though...

      Delete

Thanks for the comment!!! We are busy, busy guys but we read every comment and reply as soon as we can.

Don't forget to like our Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/RamblingsOfASemiMadman

Follow us on Twitter for to get the latest happenings, Check Out Our Facebook Grouppage, our Facebook Fanpage or Return to our Homepage

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...