Friday, December 7, 2012

Salvador de Bahia


Found this on my computer archive.  I like to include travel narratives on this blog from my past travels.  When I have traveled in the past, I usually kept a detailed journal about my travels.  This was an excerpt from my visit to Salvador Bahia, Brasil. 

I arrived in Salvador last Monday and I have been roaming the city for three days.  I love it!!!  It is my favorite city in Brasil so far. 

I arrived to the airport in Salvador and I went directly to the tourist info booth and hopped on an omnibus to reach my hostel.  I flew here from Manaus after recovering from my bout with Malaria, so I was ready to get back to traveling.  I had been laid up in Manaus for 10 days. 

As in Manaus, I found that using my Spanish was sufficient to communicate.  Although I am slowly learning some Portuguese, I have found that they understand my near fluent Spanish much better than my broken Portuguese.  I had no troubles navigating the airport of getting to my hostel.  The Hostel was dead so I couldn't ask for advice on places to eat.  I just headed out on my own.  The people were so helpful.  I asked several locals for some good restaurants and they pointed me to a great little restaurant.  There was no name outside of it and I would never have known it was a restaurant if it weren't for the locals. 

The culture in Salvador is awesome. Music and dancing seems to be everywhere and going on at all hours of the day and the night.  The people here just love to dance.  I have been out all three nights to various dancing clubs.  The clubs don't open until 10 or 11 and really don't get going till after midnight.  I left the clubs around 4 AM and they still were packed when I left.   If you love nightlife, Salvador is the place for you.

I’ve visited a few beaches around the town (Arembepe and Praia do forte) and then headed off to Morro de Sao Paulo.  This place is incredible.  It is a nice little island, although it was packed with tourists.  I did not let that disappoint my visit though.   
My visit to Brasil has really felt like a visit to three entirely different countries.  It is hard to believe that I have stayed in Brasil the whole month.   The Amazon,  Rio and Bahia each have a very unique and distinct feel to them.   I experienced culture shock each time I traveled to a new location.   I have yet to travel to Sao Paulo, but I imagine it will be entirely different as well. 

It is almost time to head out.  I can hear the bands congregating in the street and hear kids yelling around.  It is 10:30 and the night is just beginning to come to life.  I will write more later. 

4 comments:

  1. Looks really interesting! Amazing tourist place... Brazil!! :-)


    Pixellicious Photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Think You Know MeDecember 29, 2010 at 1:42 PM

    Thanks for the comment Kcalpesh! I want to go back there so bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Nice insights. I lived in Rio for several years and honestly was disappointed with Salvador a bit. I`m a Cuba fan, and was expecting something like Havana, but they just look like a little. Havana is much more pleasant.
    Still very nice people, and I`m sure there`s a lot more to see than that I did.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Think You Know MeMay 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM

    Thanks. I love Rio too, but Salvador has a different feel. I have been to Havana and loved it as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!!! We are busy, busy guys but we read every comment and reply as soon as we can.

Don't forget to like our Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/RamblingsOfASemiMadman

Follow us on Twitter for to get the latest happenings, Check Out Our Facebook Grouppage, our Facebook Fanpage or Return to our Homepage

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...